Information on how to leave the LGPS
If you leave your job before retirement, or decide to opt-out of the scheme, you will be presented with the following options depending on your length of LGPS membership (including any membership built up, and still remaining with other LGPS Funds).
If you leave after two years LGPS membership
- you can choose to keep your benefits in the Wiltshire Pension Fund. These are known as a Deferred Benefit
- you may investigate a Transferring to another registered pension scheme
If you leave with less than two years LGPS membership
- you will normally be able to claim a refund of your contributions, less a deduction for tax.
- you may be able to transfer your benefits to a new pension arrangement (providing you have been a member of the LGPS for at least 3 months)
- you can delay your decision until you either, re-join the LGPS, transfer your benefits to a new pension arrangement, as an alternative to taking a refund of contributions
If you delay your decision with less than two years LGPS membership, you will have up to 5 years to hold your account with us.