You must have 2 or more years membership in the LGPS to take your annual pension
Your LGPS pension is payable in full from your Normal Pension Age which is linked to your State Pension Age (with a minimum of age 65). You may have an earlier Normal Pension Age for the final salary part of your pension although you normally need to take the benefits together.
To find out what your State Pension Age is, go to the GOV.UK check State Pension Age
My retirement options
- you can choose to retire (leave your employment) and take your pension from the LGPS at any time from age 55 to 75
- Early retirement reductions will apply if you decide to retire earlier than your Normal Pension Age, as it's being paid earlier
- enhancements will apply if you take your benefits after your Normal Pension Age
- you must take your benefits before your 75th birthday
- your employer may allow the option of flexible retirement
Increase to earliest payment age
The Government has announced the earliest age that you can take your pension will increase from age 55 to 57 from 6 April 2028. This will not apply to ill health retirements.